It was a rainy spring day yesterday and it made me crave this creamy garlicky yogurt chickpea dish. It is so fast and easy just follow these instructions that I will break down the only way I can follow recipes:
- Boil chickpeas. They need to be soaked for a few hours or overnight before they are boiled until they are tender. I usually boil and freeze chickpeas to have them ready anytime. For me, I need to do it fast; I wash and boil a can of chickpeas until they are warm tender.
- Bake pita bread in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 F until crispy. You have the option of drizzling olive oil on them before baking and seasoning them with some salt or sumac. It is really up to you. It tastes good either way and you really can’t go wrong. When the pitas are baked break them up into smaller pieces.
- In a sauce pan, add plain yogurt, crushed garlic, a tablespoon of tahini, a teaspoon of lemon (optional), and a sprinkle of salt and, a little bit of boiling water just enough to make the sauce creamy not watery. Stir them together over medium/low heat until the sauce is warm. The key is just to get this mixture warm and mixed together, refrain from boiling it.
- In a bowl, layer the baked pita, then chickpea, then the yogurt sauce of top of each other. Add some olive oil roasted pine nuts as the cherry on top. Sprinkle some cumin on top, you can even have the cumin in the yogurt sauce. You can also sprinkle some cayenne pepper and some mint on top.
- Grab a spoon, sit with you family and enjoy while the kids are splashing yogurt all over the place.
I encourage you to make this recipe the way you prefer. I don’t measure when I cook, I just eyeball it. You love garlic? Add more. You want more sauce than chickpeas ratio, add more yogurt etc.
Please feel free to comment below on how you customized this recipe.