Life is short, and for some life is shorter than anyone could have imagined. I recently heard of an unexpected loss and I was crushed. As I was feeling the heart ache, I could only imagine the pain the family members were experiencing. Growing old is truly a gift that we need to be grateful for.
So for this, I wanted to write a quick post (without being too depressing) about how we could cherish the ones you love, whoever they may be:
1. Give them a call or a video call
2. Send them a text
3. Tell them that something reminded you of them
4. Greet them no matter how busy you are and how hectic your moment of encounter is
5. Give them a long hug or a kiss when appropriate
6. Show appreciation for them by saying thank you for something they did for you
7. Communicate when they get you mad and talk it out
8. Tell them/show them that you love them
9. If it is hard to say “I love you” write them a letter, or maybe a note in their purse/lunch box/wallet
10. Make memories together, plan trips, or little simple things that you will remember forever
11. Take pictures together, frame them, and gift it to them. You can also post a picture of you together on social media with a sweet note
12. Remember their birthdays and show them that you are happy they were born. Remind them how happy they should be to be able to grow old (it is truly a gift)
13. Be kind, loved ones should not be punching bags
14. Ask them about their day and how it went
15. Be a good listener
16. Laugh together
17. Be there for them during milestones, such as graduation, wedding, etc.
18. Celebrate their successes
19. Be there for them when they are sick visit them, get them medicine, make them soup
20. Help them out when you see them doing something
21. Get them something small that reminded you of them like their favorite flower, a stuffed animal, a toy, or their favorite candy bar etc.
22. Cook for them and bring it by just because
23. Be less materialistic; it is amazing how much love we can show for people when we show less love for things and money
24. Don’t take them for granted
25. Don’t let your ego get in the way of your relationship
As much as I wrote these things to inspire you all to cherish the ones you love, I wrote them as a reminder to myself as well. I hope I will always remember to treat my loved ones with kindness no matter how hectic this life gets and no matter how much my loved ones get on my nerves sometimes (don’t tell me you don’t have those moments).
So if you are reading this I want to say THANK YOU! I am sending lots of digital love your way.